What is Movie News After Dark? It’s a nightly column about… well, the title is pretty self explanatory, is it not?
We begin this evening with a shot at some concept art for The Wolverine, the James Mangold directed, Hugh Jackman starring film that has some high hopes following the mess that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine. We can see some Japanese prison things, some samurai stuff and all kinds of amber hues. So far, so good.
1. Christian Bale visits Aurora shooting victims – Even though it was distressing to see that an online petition was started to urge Bale to do this — because forcing someone famous to do something charitable is not cool — it’s a stand-up thing for the actor to go and visit the victims on his own accord.
2. Game of Thrones finds its bastard – The folks at HBO have cast Misfits alum Iwan Rheon as the Bastard of Bolton, a character who comes into play in the third season. He was mentioned in season two, as the guy who is sent by Robb Stark to Winterfell to take out Theon Greyjoy.
3. Peter Jackson wants three Hobbitses – The Lord of the Rings director figures that while he’s shooting like crazy in New Zealand, he might as well just make three Hobbit movies. Because why not.
4. Why Michonne is the smartest character on The Walking Dead - Even though that’s not saying much, actress Danai Gurira explains why her character is the wiliest of all the survivors of the borepocalypse.
5. Dr. Strangelove by Scrojo – This poster for Dr. Strangelove is super cool. Super duper cool.
6. Walter White is the ultimate absent father - Vulture explains all of the daddy issues at work in Breaking Bad.
6. Why is it so hard to make a good female superhero movie? – ScreenCrush asks the question. Something tells me that Joss Whedon had the answer years ago…
7. Anne Hathaway is down for more Catwoman – Speaking of female superhero movies. Although in fairness to history, that still doesn’t sound like such a great idea.
8. The “crazy rumors” of The Dark Knight Rises revisited – /Film’s Germain Lussier walks us through all the rumors about TDKR that came out over the years, many of which turned out to be true. Or sort of true.
9. Every 3D movie looks the same – Because well, they sort of do…