Editor’s Note: As with many of our Ten and Five articles, this article does contain spoilers. Consider yourself warned.
Role Models tasted the beast this weekend, over-caffeinated itself and drove its novelty pickup over the mascot of the box office. Ok, so maybe I oversold that considering it opened second with just under $20 million, but I had a lot of references I wanted to slip in. Anyway you slice it, I enjoyed the crap out of Role Models, perhaps because I saw just a little bit too much of myself in Wheeler, from my love of boobs to my love of boobs. Ok, so maybe I oversold how much I have in common with Wheeler, but I wanted to say boobs at least five times this article. Here’s what I liked and what I didn’t.
10 Things I Liked
10. Relatability. More and more movies are speaking to the 18-25 year old audience in their own voice and relating to them directly, rather than coming off as some 40 year old trying to talk like he was 25.
9. Sarcasm. Role Models doesn’t rely on feces or other bodily fluids to get the laughs, but rather opts for smarter comedy with plenty of sarcasm, wonderfully delivered by Paul Rudd.
8. Taste the Beast! In a previous draft, they were beer salesmen, but I liked the switch to energy drinks as well as the early caffeine related jokes.
7. LARPing. Live Action Role Playing is long over due to be mocked celebrated on screen.
6. Connie (Carly Craig). While she only has a few lines in the film, I thought this chick was very hot and had one of the best lines of the film: Out here, I’m just another woman lookin’ to cheat.
5. Run Time. Finally a comedy that comes in at under 2 hours long!
4. Bobb’e J. Thompson. As Seann William Scott said, this kid is younger and funnier than all of us.
3. Hatred. I love to hate and loved that Paul Rudd’s character Danny hated all the same things I do, like Starbucks and people who play the guitar.
2. Two-Person Jokes/Character Interaction. Seann William Scott and Paul Rudd make a great comedic team and I loved how a lot of the jokes involved either both of them or just more than one person in general, like the cocaine line.
1. Seann William Scott. Was there ever any doubt my ManCrush wouldn’t be number one? He’s hilarious as a lovable rogue who’s a scoundrel with a heart of gold. And he loves boobs.
5 Things I Didn’t Like
5. Not enough Elizabeth Banks. She’s hot and funny and could have had a few more scenes.
4. Lynette (Kerri Kenney). I just never really find Kerri Kenney funny, but that’s probably just me.
3. David Wain’s Cameo. I like David Wain and I like director cameos, but I thought his annoying guitar player cameo stretched the joke a few seconds long, which kind of made it annoying.
2. First Trailer. The first trailer didn’t even come close to doing the movie justice.
1. Inbreeding. Listen, I love the cast and I’ll see anything with Scott or Rudd, but is it just me or are there only like 10 working comedy actors these days? It seems no matter what movie I’m watching, I’m seeing the same faces in the lead roles and the same faces in the cameos. Like 60% of the cast has been in an Apatow related: Superbad and 40 Year Old Virgin being the two big ones.
So there you go. My dislikes were relatively minor and my likes were closer to loves. I really enjoyed Role Models and think you just might too. Boobs.
What did you like or dislike about Role Models?